Monday 28 April 2014

It's you. Not me


What do you do what you start to believe you're nobodies idea of attractive. I've started to come to that realisation since joining the world of online dating.
I was always under the (false) impression that when I turned it on, I had game. Thinking you have game is different to thinking you're a stud.

Never have I thought of myself as 'attractive'. Indeed I figured I was average. One girlfriend, unkindly, said to me "You're not the sort of guy a girl would look at twice." 


That wasn't the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. In my shame we dated for much longer after that. I will not lie, she was pure filth. 
What she said stuck with me, not because it was a revelation, but because she reaffirmed what I always knew. I was never the hot guy in school girls wanted to play kiss chase with. I did, do, have a personality, which I thought would compensate. Largely it has.
Unfortunately personality isn't a big factor in online dating. Pictures are. Pictures tell a thousand words. And it seems most people don't like to read more than a couple of words in a profile. 
If anything my venture into the online world has only confirmed my fears of our vacuous nature. All you need is a pretty face, nice hair, a good, if not great, body. 
It's beyond depressing to think that's all we have now. It's tragic to think having something between the ears doesn't count too much to those seemingly looking for meaningful relationships. 
Harking back to an earlier post, I wonder why we can't be more honest. When you say looks aren't that important, mean it, or don't say it. If you say you're looking for someone caring, are you sure you don't means someone who will pamper you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment