Thursday 2 January 2014

No talking

Image by Rita Banerji, Flickr.com
January is the month singletons resolve to kick their arses in gear and sign up to a variety of singles sites.
That makes sense because well it's pretty much what's going on with me. I've yet to sign up to any clubs, websites and such but I've decided going to see comedy on my own is getting quite old. 

Over on the BBC there was a short piece on this new dating events company which have their customers wiggle in front of each other. It reminded me of watching my high school's drama club attempt interpretive dance. 
As it was an all boys Catholic school you can imagine the results of that production. 
One singleton said she preferred getting to know someone by not talking to them, which pretty much sounds like the wrong way to do it. 
You could be great at throwing shapes but that's not going to reassure me you're not a raging sociopath.
I'm waiting for a friend to get back from a trip to India. She said she would accompany me to a singles event this month. 
It's OK. She's not going to be my cheer squad. I thought that as she is single, it may be bearable if we both went to such organised occasions and dissect it afterwards over a tall mojito.  
I don't know if I totally sold it to her. She's quite serious and doesn't think it's appropriate to go to these things solely to get material for my first five minutes of stand-up. As a comedian once said, I'm sure it was a comedian, "material is all around us." 
Maybe I just made that up. It does sound like something someone said, other than me.
What have you been to? Have you tried speed dating? What about cosplay? Which have you found to be the best way to meet interesting people?  

No comments:

Post a Comment